Simple falls can have catastrophic effects on the elderly leading to disabling conditions, extended hospital stays and even death. These falls can be prevented and a good caregiver can minimize any negative long term effects if one does occur. With most falls occurring at home while doing mundane tasks, “elder proofing” homes becomes critical to those seniors that are able to stay in their homes. David York Home Healthcare Agency is intimately aware of what a safe living space for an elderly person should look like and can help set that up. That is why our aides are instructed frequently during in-service training about safe environments for our elderly clients.
The National Institute on Aging has a handy article about making a home safe for the elderly. Tripping hazards from carpets, wires, and clutter need to be removed. Grab bars in places like the shower, tub, and toilet as well as proper lighting often prove essential.
Here is a summary:
Stairways, Hallways and Pathways
- Keep electric cords and wires next to the wall and tacked down.
- Affix all carpets and area rugs firmly to the floor.
- Arrange furniture so there are clear paths for walking.
- Make sure sofas and chairs are the right height for sitting and getting up.
- Don’t walk on wet, newly washed floors.
- Keep often used items in easy reach.
- Don’t stand on a table or chair.
- Have a reach stick (obtainable in hardware stores) for hard to reach items.
- Know where your pet is before sitting or standing so you don’t trip on them.
- Keep emergency numbers in large print near the telephone.
- Have handrails on both sides of the stairs.
- Make sure there is good lighting,
- Keep the walkway tidy.
- Check that the carpets are fixed firmly.
- Don’t use throw rugs or small area rugs
- Grab bars for the tub, toilet and shower.
- Place non-skid mats, strips and carpets.
- Place nightlights.
- Put nightlights and light switches near the bed.
- Keep the telephone on the night table.
- Have all remote controls within reach.
At David York Home Care Agency, we could provide direction as to how to manage the total care of your senior loved one. David York Agency provides skilled home health aide services for the elderly in New York in their homes and is abreast of all the latest guidelines for seniors. We would be happy to discuss your case with you. Please call us at (718) 376-7755 or visit our website. You can also like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter or LinkedIn.