The word dementia describes a set of symptoms that may include memory loss and difficulties with thinking, problem-solving or language. Dementia is caused when diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease or a series of strokes, damage the brain. Dementia is progressive, which means the symptoms will gradually get worse. In most cases, there is no way to cure the diseases that cause dementia. However, there are drugs and treatments available that may help alleviate some of the symptoms.
Alzheimer's and Dementia
- Alzheimer's disease: An eye test could provide early warning March 18, 2019
One day, a quick eye test may be able to pick up important information about brain health. Specifically, it may be able to identify signs of dementia.
- Does eating mushrooms protect brain health? March 15, 2019
Mushrooms are tasty and nutritious, but can they protect the brain from cognitive decline? That is what researchers from Singapore aim to find out.
- Vascular risk factors tied to brain health March 11, 2019
New research finds that risk factors affecting the health of our blood vessels — such as smoking, obesity, or diabetes — may also impair brain health.
- Could sleep apnea be a risk factor for Alzheimer's? March 11, 2019
A preliminary study has unearthed a potential link between sleep apnea and tau tangles, which are the neurological hallmarks of Alzheimer's disease.
- This sleep disorder puts people at 'very high risk' of Parkinson's March 6, 2019
A large study found that those who experience a certain sleep disorder are also at high risk of Parkinson's disease, but this knowledge can aid prevention.
- How does exercise impact cognitive function in Parkinson's? March 5, 2019
A recent systematic review suggests that exercise improves not only motor function in people with Parkinson's disease, but also their memory.
- Excessive daily TV at older age tied to poorer memory March 1, 2019
Adults aged 50 and older who watched TV for 3.5 hours or more per day had greater verbal memory decline after 6 years than those who watched less TV.
- ALS: New technique prevents toxic protein deposits in cells February 27, 2019
Clumps of faulty TDP-43 protein inside nerve cells are common in ALS and other neurological diseases. Could this new technique offer a way to prevent them?
- Alzheimer's: 'Holy herb' extract shows promise as future treatment February 22, 2019
A laboratory screen found that a compound in the Yerba santa medicinal plant protects against several age-related triggers of death in mouse nerve cells.
- How language shapes our brains…and our lives February 22, 2019
In this Spotlight, we look at the origins of spoken language, where language is present in the brain, and how the languages we speak shape our world.