When a stroke occurs, time spent in the hospital amounts to mere moments compared to what can be a lengthy and challenging recovery process. A stroke can change your loved one’s life in the blink of an eye. Suddenly normal, everyday activities become impossible for the stroke survivor to do alone. Living arrangements, too, can create unique issues. Even the scope of the home (its layout and its associated responsibilities) may be incompatible with their changed capabilities. Homecare may also be necessary, but it requires some planning.
Assessment Before Discharge
As soon as possible in advance of the stroke survivor being discharged, an assessment should be made of the stroke survivor’s entire situation, including their living environment, support from family, disability and insurance benefits, along with the possible introduction of in-home healthcare.
According to information published by the US Agency for HealthCare Research and Quality, ensure a safe and comfortable transition by reviewing the following and making necessary changes:
- Making sure that your loved one has a safe place to live.
- Deciding what care, assistance, or special equipment will be needed.
- Arranging for more rehabilitation services or for other services in the home (such as visits by a physical therapist or hiring a home health aide).
- Choosing a healthcare professional or doctor who will monitor your loved one’s health and medical needs.
- Learning the necessary skills to provide your loved one with daily care and assistance at home.
David York Agency Can Help
Experts recommend that, when possible, families take the initial steps in deciding on in-home healthcare well in advance. David York Agency provides qualified and well-trained healthcare professionals when you need them. We provide Certified Home Health Aides (HHA), Certified Personal Health Care Aides (PCA), Registered Nurses (RN), Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN), full or part-time, live-in or -out, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Licensed by the New York State Department of Health, we believe your loved one deserves the best care. Call for a free consultation today, at 718-376-7755.