The holidays are over.
While there is a lot of information about holiday blues, there is also a similar issue with post-holiday depression.
Everyone has returned home after many fun-filled days of presents and fabulous meals. With the family holiday visits a thing of the past, many elderly may come down with the post-holiday blues. It is easy to fall into this post-holiday depression, but there are many things you can do to avoid it.
Here are some tips.
- Do something different. This year, change it up a bit. Whether it is a new hobby, listening to an audiobook or going out to a new restaurant, trying something new each week or each month can help keep depression at bay and life interesting.
- Stay on schedule. The holidays disrupt schedules. However, once they are over, getting back to a normal routine is key to avoiding how the disruption, which is often accompanied by loss of sleep, can affect moods negatively.
- Exercise is important at every age. If the cold of winter keeps your senior loved one indoors, try a video exercise program or one on cable television. While exercise may not feel good at the time, the benefits are well worth it.
- Eat sensibly. After all those heavy holiday meals, a more normal diet is in order. Eating healthfully keeps you feeling fit — physically and emotionally.
- Don’t miss medication doses. Make sure that you’re up-to-date on your refills, too.
- Ask for Help. A network of close friends and family to turn to when things get tough is critical especially during a depression. Asking them for help is important.
David York Agency Can Help
David York Agency is a home healthcare agency that provides high quality skilled home health aide services for the elderly with the highest degree of personal service. DYA can help you or your family member with all of the activities of daily life and provide companionship during a trying time. We meticulously check credentials and maintain valid references for our aides. You can be sure that the highest caliber home health aides are caring for your loved ones. David York Agency would be happy to discuss your case with you. Please call us at (718) 376-7755 or browse our website. You can also like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter, or LinkedIn.