Research from the National Council on Aging shows that at least 75% of seniors suffer from a chronic health condition. Yet, only 3% of American seniors live in nursing homes. Unquestionably, seniors prefer living at home. That said, choosing the right in-home caregiver in Manhattan is critical to your parent’s health and wellbeing. Below, we discuss how you can make the call on the level of care your loved one needs and what to look for in hiring professional caregivers.
Choosing the Right Caregiver for the Level of Care Required
Companion. In-home companions can help with activities of daily living (ADL), transportation needs, housekeeping duties, as well as social activities. Some in-home companions also provide 24-hour care.
Personal Care Assistant (PCA). The PCA generally provides services similar to companions. However, unlike companions, personal care assistants often possess a certain level of medical training. For example, many home health care agencies hire personal care assistants who have received home health aide training. These personal care assistants are qualified to provide both companion and personal care services, such as assisting with toileting, grooming, and bathing.
Home Health Aide (HHA). HHAs can offer more specialized medical services to their clients. They can monitor vital signs and some can remind the patient regarding medication administration. Many home health aides have also received certified nursing assistant training. Here, it’s worth pointing out that, unlike home health care aides, CNAs must receive certified and state-approved medical training.
Many home health care agencies do hire home health aides who have received CNA training. These HHAs can assist with managing feeding tubes, changing bandages/dressings, and administering oxygen. They are qualified to work closely with the nursing staff. Some of these HHAs also have MACE (medication aide certification) training so that they can dispense medication.
What to Look for in an In-Home Caregiver in Manhattan
It’s not a simple matter to entrust the care of your aged parents to total strangers. In fact, taking such a step often involves great faith. Thus, considering the following can ease your mind when choosing the right person for the job.
- Professionalism. You can gauge levels of professionalism from certain indicators. Is the caregiver’s uniform neat and clean? Do candidates arrive for an interview on time or even a few minutes early? Do they make good eye contact and actively engage you in conversation?
- Caring. You can tell a lot from a candidate’s tone of voice and non-verbal cues. Do candidates smile, speak respectfully to your loved one, or show other signs of genuine kindness?
- Honesty. As you converse and attempt to learn more about candidates, do you sense an openness and willingness to share their experiences? If you have any concerns about their past work history or other matters, are they able to speak honestly about them?
- Qualifications. There are varying degrees of qualifications. That said, think about what’s most important to you. You may prefer caregivers who are older or younger, depending on your goals for your parent’s well-being. You may also feel that the person should have particular experience relevant to your patient’s condition and requirements.
Working With the Right Agency to Find an In-Home Caregiver in Manhattan
Since your loved one will be spending many hours with a caregiver, it’s imperative that they feel comfortable with this person. So, it’s a good idea to involve your loved one in interviews. Consumer Reports provides great advice about the interviewing process. Ask the candidates how they’ve handled difficult situations in the past and managed disagreements with former clients. Your loved one could also provide information about daily routines or care plans to the potential caregiver.
The advantages of working with a trusted agency for your home caregiver hiring needs are many:
- Background checks and screening
- Backup replacement if the caregiver is out sick
- No paperwork involved
- Liability coverage if an injury occurs on your property
Knowing that in-home care aides have been screened and medically trained can give you peace of mind. At David York Agency, we hire only the most qualified home-care aides.
David York Agency Supports All Caregivers
David York Agency understands the challenges of caregiving and is willing to provide all the support you need.
If you’d like more information about David York Agency’s qualified, compassionate caregivers, contact us at 718.376.7755. A free phone consultation can help you decide what services might be best. If you’d like to hear more from us, please like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter or LinkedIn.
David York Agency Home Healthcare is committed to providing personalized care for your loved one. If you have questions about our services, please contact us. We can help you through the difficult times and give you the break you deserve!