Many of us saw our parents as superheroes during our childhoods. They were there when we needed them. They kissed away our cuts and scrapes, destroyed scary shadows, and fought the boogie man. We never imagined anything could defeat them. Then we grew up, and our parents got older. Now, it’s time for us to be the superheroes. The enemy, however, is strong. Dementia is a terrible test of our resilience, and exhaustion is a very real challenge. In this article, we discuss 5 ways to give dementia caregivers in Forest Hills, NY a helping hand.
We Put on the Superhero Cape
We caregivers have our own lives to live. Our homes need cleaning, our spouses and children need our attention, and our careers have their own demands. Despite our resolve, we still get tired at the end of the day.
Super Tips to Try
At David York Agency, we understand your concerns. Below, we share some of our favorite tips for dementia caregivers.
- Get plenty of rest. If you’re not rested, then you won’t have the energy to handle all the demands of caregiving. It’s equally important for you to recognize the specific signs of burnout. When you feel overwhelmed, depressed, or fatigued, ask for help. Take a day off and relax. Spend time with a friend or participate in your favorite hobby to unwind.
- Eat a balanced and nutritious diet. Dollar Menu cheeseburgers and French fries may be tempting when you’re rushed or tired, but these foods often leave you feeling sluggish. In the long run, your health will suffer.
- Have fun with your loved one. Laugh! Make the day enjoyable for your loved one as well as yourself. For example, if your senior loves to bake, make favorite recipes together. Keep the conversation light while you work.
- Help them to develop a pleasant routine. Everyone has preferences. Learn when your senior likes to perform daily activities and make the necessary accommodations. Stick to the routine as much as possible, and make allowances for difficult days.
- Set alarms on their cell phone. Many seniors don’t like relying on someone else to tell them what to do and when to do it. So, be sure to put descriptive labels on each alarm. If you or your senior need help with technology, David York Agency has qualified staff who can help.
The best caregivers are always learning. Try the wonderful resources at the Alzheimer’s Association website. Also, be sure to talk to your doctor for information specific to your situation.
Superheroes Need Some Sidekicks!
Dementia caregivers in Forest Hills, NY need not fight alone, for David York Agency is here to help. Our qualified staff of professional RN’s, LPN’s, and Personal Care Aides (PCA) are ready to provide assistance.
For more information about David York Agency’s qualified, compassionate caregivers, contact us at 877.216.7676. A free phone consultation can help you decide what services might be best. We aim to provide you and your loved one with the assistance they need. If you’d like to hear more from us, please like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter, Google+, or LinkedIn.
For more helpful tips and information, contact us today.