Parkinson’s disease is a condition in which an area of the brain becomes progressively damaged over several years. The main signs of Parkinson’s disease are tremor, slow movement, stiff and inflexible muscles. There is currently no cure for Parkinson’s disease. However, treatments are available to help reduce symptoms and maintain quality of life for as long as possible.
- Manganese and Parkinson's: Mechanism may explain link March 15, 2019
New research discovers a mechanism that may explain why exposure to manganese induces Parkinson's symptoms. The findings may aid diagnosis and treatment.
- Parkinson's: Study reveals how cancer drug reduces toxic protein in brain March 13, 2019
An analysis of trial results reveals the mechanism through which the cancer drug nilotinib increases brain dopamine in people with Parkinson's disease.
- This sleep disorder puts people at 'very high risk' of Parkinson's March 6, 2019
A large study found that those who experience a certain sleep disorder are also at high risk of Parkinson's disease, but this knowledge can aid prevention.
- How does exercise impact cognitive function in Parkinson's? March 5, 2019
A recent systematic review suggests that exercise improves not only motor function in people with Parkinson's disease, but also their memory.
- New treatment under trial could restore brain cells in Parkinson's February 27, 2019
A series of clinical trials have concluded that a new therapy, alongside a novel method of delivery, could be effective in treating Parkinson's disease.
- Parkinson's: How stem cells can help repair the brain February 18, 2019
A new review examines the past, present, and future of stem cell therapy for replacing damaged brain cells in Parkinson's disease.
- What role does the gut play in Parkinson's disease? February 11, 2019
A review of existing research has examined the evidence for a connection between the gastrointestinal system and the progression of Parkinson's disease.
- Are we facing a Parkinson's pandemic? February 3, 2019
The authors of a recent article are suggesting that the gradual rise in Parkinson's is a pandemic. They ask why this is occurring and what can be done.
- 13 early signs of Parkinson's disease January 3, 2019
People can sometimes miss the early signs and symptoms of Parkinson's disease, as they can be subtle and sporadic. In this article, we look at 13 signs of Parkinson's disease to look out for …
- Innovative brain implant could improve Parkinson's treatment January 2, 2019
A novel device able to both record and modulate electrical impulses in the brain may improve treatments for Parkinson's disease and related conditions.