People are living longer than ever before, and many seniors live active and healthy lives. However, as we age, our bodies and minds change. There are things you can do to stay healthy and active as you age, and it is important to understand what to expect. This category includes news on the biology of aging, demographics, continuity of care, quality of life, care needs, longevity and lifestyle.
Seniors and Aging
- Can exercise slow down Alzheimer's? September 19, 2019
A new proof-of-concept study finds that people with Alzheimer's biomarkers in the brain who exercise frequently experience slower deterioration.
- How to care for someone with Alzheimer's disease September 18, 2019
Caring for someone with Alzheimer's disease can be both challenging and rewarding. Learn about tips to make it easier, as well as when to seek professional help.
- Hearing aids lower the chance of dementia, depression, and falling September 15, 2019
A recent study concludes that wearing hearing aids is associated with later onset of dementia and a reduced risk of anxiety, depression, and falls.
- Does poor oral health impact brain function? September 14, 2019
Two new studies suggest that there is an association between stress related tooth problems and cognitive decline among older populations.
- Has a small trial stumbled upon a way to reverse biological aging? September 12, 2019
A small clinical trial has found that an experimental treatment meant to reverse the aging of a key player in the immune system achieved a lot more.
- What to know about muscle fatigue September 11, 2019
Muscle tiredness, or fatigue, can occur for many reasons. We discuss some of the causes, what people can do to relieve muscle fatigue, and when to see a doctor here.
- Migraine may raise dementia, Alzheimer's risk September 10, 2019
New research finds a 'significant' association between a history of migraine and various forms of dementia, and Alzheimer's disease in particular.
- AI-enhanced ECGs may soon assess overall health August 30, 2019
The ability of artificial intelligence to predict sex and estimate age from electrocardiogram readouts shows potential as a measure of overall health.
- Memory boost: One-off exercise as effective as 12 weeks' training August 28, 2019
A new small trial suggests that a 'day by day' approach to aerobic exercise can offer a memory boost and other cognitive benefits to older individuals.
- Do antibiotics raise the risk of rheumatoid arthritis? August 28, 2019
A large-scale study finds a link between the antibiotics doctors use to treat some types of infection and a higher risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis.